As our course draws to a close I hope we are starting to better see the sheer scope of ‘Outdoor Education’. As we quickly and lightly scratched the surface of 10+ topics in the past few weeks I wanted to create a space for you to unpack and continue exploring any additional subject of your choosing.
Please choose one prompt below and answer in a text response. 200 Words Paper
· Explain the Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Media in relation to the field(s) of Outdoor Recreation/Education? (e.g. increased visitation/exposure v. increased incorrect usage of the space.) Optional- provide example photos as evidence to the pros and cons.
· Reflect on current representation of Outdoor Education and the Backcountry in film and television. Critically watch and analyze examples of film/series/etc and consider the impact they might have on their audiences. (Dawn Wall, Free Solo, 127 Hours, Into the Wild, Into Thin Air, Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Meru, Other Nature Documentaries/Series, Naked and Afraid, Survivor Man, Man v. Nature)
· Explore the rise of ‘Literacy’ centered education via Environmental Literacy, Ocean Literacy, Climate Literacy, Risk Literacy, etc.
o http://www.coexploration.org/oceanliteracy/documents/OceanLitChart.pdf(Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)
o https://aamboceanservice.blob.core.windows.net/oceanservice-prod/education/literacy/climate_literacy.pdf(Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)
· Explore the rise of technology use/application in outdoor spaces. Search for beneficial uses, and managerial challenges to the rise of technologies. Explore through the lens of the resource manager, tourist, etc.
· Continue to unpack the inequities and barriers to outdoor education. Cite one or two sources.
· The RASM risk model is not perfect. Find another Risk Management system/matrix and compare it to RASM (e.g. SPE modeling https://outsideluke.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/sar-tri-fold-risk-assessment.pdf(Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.))
· Outdoor Education comes close to penetrating the ‘traditional classroom’. Watch one or more videos from RSA Animate and link them to Outdoor Educator and/or the backcountry – https://www.thersa.org/discover/videos/rsa-animate