Assignment 1 meets the following course objectives:
· Apply a sociological perspective to the social world.
· Analyze contemporary social issues using the sociological imagination and use sociological
theories and concepts to analyze everyday life.
· Demonstrate the ability to identify, locate, and retrieve information related to the topics in the
· Describe culture and socialization
The primary goal of this exercise is to apply your developing sociological knowledge and skills to the
analysis of the process of socialization.
This paper should be 4 pages, plus the cover page for a total of 5 pages. Format required: double-spaced, 12 pt font (Arial or Times New Roman), with 1″ margins. Check your paper for accuracy prior to submission.
Describe and analyze the process of socialization. Begin with responding to the question “Who Am I?”
1. In your description, make sure to incorporate the concepts we have addressed in the course,
such as roles, statuses, group membership, etc. Your response to this question should be at
least 1+ page in length.
2. Next, analyze at least 4 concepts of socialization that have affected your development as an
individual, focusing on childhood socialization. Consider, for example, the ways in which the
family, religion, media, peers, and education have influenced your development, opportunities, and life choices.
3. Your analysis of the process of socialization should be 3+ pages in length and incorporate at
least 4 sociological concepts or theories covered in this course (hint: sociological
concepts should be clearly identified and then applied; any paraphrasing or direct quotes
used from another source should include APA formatted in-text citations and a full citation at
the end of the essay.