- Based on the video, explain two (2) advantages and two (2) disadvantages in using both the cash and the accrual basis of accounting.
- Then, determine the one (1) that you believe provides the most useful financial information to users.
- Identify at least two (2) types of businesses that would benefit by preparing financial statements using either the cash or accrual basis of accounting.
- Justify your response.
- Identify and discuss the key steps in the closing process that provide the most opportunity to make mistakes in processing account transactions. Why did you select these steps and what makes them confusing?
- Make at least two (2) recommendations for improving the accuracy and reliability of the information in the gaps that you have identified.
- Justify your response.
Business and Society Class:
Describe a situation when you had a supervisor or coworker who you believe made an unethical decision and/or exhibited unethical behavior. Discuss why you think that person acted unethically, and discuss some mechanisms that an organization can put into place to prevent unethical behavior within their organization.
Business and Society Class:
Globalization gives companies access to wider market areas and opportunities to lower human capital costs. It also affords consumers better access to a greater variety of goods and services. However, opponents of free markets and global trade argue that we are losing jobs in the U.S. as companies continue to outsource jobs to countries where they can pay lower wages. They also contend that companies are exploiting individuals in developing countries and furthering the inequality between developed and developing countries and a reduction of the middle class with a wider gap between the rich and the poor.
Assignment 1 for Business and Society class:
Assignment 1: Social Performance of Organizations
According to the textbook, the current world economy is increasingly becoming integrated and interdependent; as a result, the relationship between business and society is becoming more complex. Use the Internet to research Apple. Use a tablet, smartphone, laptop, desktop, or traditional video recorder to record a maximum of a five to seven (5-7) minute dynamic video on the topics detailed below. Alternatively, you may submit a four to six (4-6) page paper instead of the video submission.
Note: If you are using a tablet or smartphone you will need to email the video file to yourself, then save it to a computer in order to upload to Blackboard. You may want to upload your video to a file sharing service, such as Dropbox, if your email will not let you send a large video file. Dropbox is accessible from all smartphones and tablets from the Dropbox app.
Once you are ready to upload your video to Blackboard, view the Kaltura video tutorial found in your online course shell (Week 4).
Please use the following naming convention in the popup window for your video once it is finished uploading:
- Title: Your First Name, Your Last Name – Social Performance of Organizations
- Tags: BUS475, Social Performance
- Description: First Name, Last Name – BUS475 Assignment 1 (Date Uploaded ex. 11-14-2014)
Prepare and present a video that is a maximum of five to seven (5-7) minutes OR write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
- Specify the nature, structure, and types of products or services of Apple, and identify two (2) key factors in the organization’s external environment that can affect its success. Provide explanation to support the rationale.
- Suggest five (5) ways in which the primary stakeholders can influence the organization’s financial performance. Provide support for the response.
- Specify one (1) controversial corporate social responsibility concern associated with Apple.
- Submit a reference page with at least four (4) quality references that you have used for this presentation / paper. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
If you choose the written paper, your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the relationship between business and society, and the ways in which they are part of an interactive system.
- Recommend ways stakeholders can influence the destiny of both business and society.
- Analyze the various primary and secondary stakeholder groups, their roles, and relationships.
- Compare and contrast the concepts of corporate social responsibility and citizenship.
- Analyze ways ethical challenges affect the multiple functions of business.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in business and society.
- Write clearly and concisely about business and society using proper writing mechanics.