Assignment 2- Identifying and Describing a Social Problem
For this assignment, you will delve deeper to explore a social problem that really interests you. This can be the social problem you identified in assignment 1 or you can choose something new.
For this assignment, you will put together a presentation of 12 slides minimum. You may use a presentation program of your choice such as PowerPoint or any of these which offer free use: Prezi, Powtoon, Adobe Spark, Google Slides, Canva, Visme, Libre Office, Slidedog, Haiku Deck. Please attach, embed, or provide a link to your presentation to submit it for grading.
Your Presentation must do the following:
1. Include a title slide, with your title, your name, class, and a visual that represents your topic choice. [1 slide]
2. Select a social problem of your choice, explain why it is a problem, and define the scope of this social problem (is it local, national, international, etc) [1 slide]
3. Explore the history of your social problem. Think about it has changed over time and what major milestones have impacted the problem. For example, if you are exploring racism, you will want to note major Civil Rights legislation, etc. [at least 2 slides]
3. Next, analyze two major ways that the social problem chose currently impacts different groups of individuals. For example, if you are looking at drug use, you might analyze the impact of drug use on families and workplaces. It would be a great idea to include a chart of statistics here to support your points. [at least 2 slides]
4. Define four concepts from our readings/materials that relate to your chosen social problem and analyze how these concepts help us better understand the social problem you are discussing. Some examples of concepts are ideas such as stratification, ethnicity, racism, sexism, and others as mentioned in our readings and materials (NOTE: these are just examples of concepts – they may NOT apply to your topic – you need to select concepts that apply to your own topic). [at least 4 slides]
5. Define one sociological theory from our readings/materials that relates to your chosen social problem and analyze how this theory helps us better understand the social problem you are discussing. Sociological theories include functionalism, conflict theory, feminist theory, symbolic interactionism, and others as mentioned in our readings and materials. [at least 1 slide]
6. Include full references in APA formatting; 7th edition. [at least 1 slide].
Do not use unverifiable, secondary sites such as Wikipedia, about.com, ask.com, and similar. Use our course materials, peer-reviewed journal articles from the library, and other scholarly sources. They should be no more than five years old.
Your presentation should utilize sound critical thought and it should include appropriate APA in-text citations (slides; included at the very bottom of the slide; smaller fonts, e.g., Sources: Jones, 2018; Thomas and Jones, 2018 – and full APA references at the end (Reference slide – you would cite the same way you would for an essay).
Submissions should be typed
Use APA format for citations and references
View the grading rubric so you understand how you will be assessed on this Assignment.
MOST of the information presented should be in your own words; paraphrase
Disclaimer- Originality of attachments will be verified by Turnitin. Both you and your instructor will receive the results.
This course has “Resubmission” status enabled to help you if you realized you submitted an incorrect or blank file, or if you need to submit multiple documents as part of your Assignment. Resubmission of an Assignment after it is grades, to attempt a better grade, is not permitted.